One night, long ago, I had a hankering for refried beans at dinner. I often get these random food inspirations flying into my head during dinner prep.
These tacos would be even better if they had refried beans in them!
A thorough search through my pantry revealed there were no refried beans to be found. This is not surprising because I can’t remember the last time I actually bought them.
Still determined to have refried beans with my dinner, I set out to make my own. And why not make them vegan refried beans, so some MHE readers on the vegetarian side of life can have a go-to recipe they can love too!
Winner, winner! Chicken (well, no chicken here) dinner!
I am pumped to bring you this super simple recipe that just might make it into your weekly routine; it’s that good AND that easy. Once you make it once, you might not even need the recipe again.
This Vegan Refried Bean recipe is a great choice for a healthy, plant-based dip for chips or to use in your tacos (because I was bored of straight up beans).
Let me walk you through the steps before we get to the actual recipe. Check out this video first, and then the step by step pictures.
First, saute the onions in a little oil.
Next, add the pinto beans and garlic, then heat thoroughly.
Add the spices and 1/2 cup of stock to the pan, stirring to combine.
Now, the fun part. Get out your potato masher and start mashing! Add more stock as needed to get your desired consistency.
And that’s it folks! Vegan Refried Beans can be in your future too, even tonight!
Top this with your favorite cheese (I like Monterey Jack here) or vegan cheese for a delicious dip or taco filling. The skies the limit here!
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 2 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Add oil and onions. Sauté, stirring frequently, until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the beans and garlic, stirring to combine. Cook till beans are warmed, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ½ cup stock, salt and cumin to the skillet. Stir and cook until liquid is reduced, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer, then use a potato masher and mash beans. Add small amounts of stock as needed to thin beans to desired consistency. Continue to mash until beans are fairly smooth.
- Remove from heat and serve or let cool and refrigerate.
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Refried Beans as much as we do! This recipe earned the coveted honor:
Enjoy my friends!