Muffins can be a healthy start to any morning with these easy Chocolate Strawberry Breakfast Muffins made with whole grain flour, fresh strawberries and rich cocoa powder.
I've been dreaming up this recipe FOR MONTHS! The idea has been in my head, as recipe ideas often are, just waiting for strawberry season to hit. I mean, what's not to love about strawberries and cocoa getting together in a healthy muffin? Absolutely nothing.
Chocolate covered strawberries have long been a favorite dessert of mine and I thought it would be awesome to turn that in to a an easy breakfast option. It's no secret that I love muffins (at least in my family) as I regularly make my Honey Pumpkin Whole Wheat and Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins (which I just realized are not posted on MHE yet and that is a travesty). I'm also a little obsessed with finding as many uses as possible for cocoa powder ever since I created my Chocolate Tart Cherry Recovery Smoothie.
So after 4 rounds of making these muffins, I've finally nailed the muffin that I had hoped to create. It's light and fluffy (a muffin necessity) and subtly sweet. Since the cocoa is a deeper, rich flavor, when you taste a little piece of strawberry, it really pops out. Yum. Yum. And more yum.
This recipe makes a whopping 17 muffins which makes me really happy. Most recipes make only 12 and that just doesn't seem to last very long in our house. Once cooled, I store these in a gallon Ziploc bag in the freezer and just microwave briefly in the morning to warm them up.
If you are a muffin lover like me, you have to try these yummy healthy breakfast muffins. Enjoy!
Chocolate Strawberry Morning Muffins
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk or kefir
- ½ cup honey
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder any type
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 heaping cup fresh strawberries finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a muffin tin by either spraying with nonstick cooking spray or lining with muffin papers.
- Add butter to a mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and continue to mix until well incorporated, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add the egg to the butter and mix in thoroughly.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix, then the honey. Batter will be very runny.
- Stop the mixer and add in the flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Mix on low speed until just combined. Stop mixer and add in the flax seed. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, scraping down the sides as needed to ensure it is all combined.
- Stop mixer and add in strawberries. Mix on low speed for 1 minute or fold in by hand using a spatula.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin hole with batter to be ⅔ full. Once all batter has been used, gently tap muffin pan on counter to level batter.
- Bake for 16-17 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean from center of muffins. Recommend rotating muffin pans front to back and side to side half way through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then remove and let cool completely on wire cooling rack.