Tacos can be a healthy, and certainly quick, dinner time solution. Try this healthier take on my family's taco meat recipe.
Tacos are a saving grace for dinner time at our house. I'll be honest here, making healthy dinners my family (all men btw) actually gets excited for is not easy. While I love so many vegetables and prefer to eat light at dinner, my boys crave something "yummy" and exciting for dinner. I put little stake in dinner and how it impacts my life, but my boys put all their chips in when it comes to dinner. It feels like it could make or break their day. It's the epitome of me being on Venus and my boys being on Mars.
If I let it, dinner can become a frustration for me because I'd like to eat salads, seafood, and curry all the time, and NO ONE else in my house is interested in that idea. This past year, I've been working on not turning up the volume mentally on this frustration, and instead accepting that these men I love deeply, deeply love dinner. I can't have one without the other.
So this brings us back to tacos, which are a lifesaver because every Braddock loves tacos and it checks all those criteria boxes in their heads.
Over the years I've experimented with ways to make to our taco meat recipe healthier. As with many of my recipes, the goal is to get in more veggies and more plant protein without people noticing, that much. =)
I've found my favorite taco seasoning in this brand. The ingredients list looks good and it tastes great.
Here's a video what makes my taco meat recipe special:Here's the recipe: Print
Make Healthy Easy Taco Meat Recipe
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 6 -8 1x
- 1 lb ground meat of choice
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1-2 cans kidney beans (drained)
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- ½ cup water
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground meat and cook, breaking up into crumbles with a spoon or spatula.
- Add the chopped onions when the meat is about halfway cooked. Continue to cook and stir till meat is fully cooked and onions are soft.
- Carefully drain out excess fat from pan if present.
- Return pan to stove, reduce heat to medium low.
- Add beans, taco seasoning, and water to pan. Stir to combine. Continue to cooking, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated through and water has reduced.
- Remove from heat and serve. Or, allow to cool to room temp, seal in a storage bag with a vacuum sealer, and freeze for the future.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Entree
This Taco Meat Recipe is the epitome of what it means to "Make Healthy Easy". Start by working with what you are already do and make small improvements. Over time, those small improvements add up to a big difference in your health.
Do you have any tricks you use in your cooking to Make Healthy Easy? Leave a comment and share them below.