This post is sponsored by Unilever as part of their Agents of Change Program.
I have to admit that snack time can get a little monotonous in our household. I typically use yogurt as our go-to afternoon snack because it’s easy, delicious and nutritious. However, I’ve been noticing that Team Braddock gets bored of a straight-up yogurt cup every day. To keep snack time interesting and fun I created these Crunchy Frozen Yogurt Snack Bites and it seems to be solving my boredom-with-yogurt problem.
When I think about tips and tricks I’ve used to encourage healthy eating with my boys, I realize that changing the shape or presentation of a healthy food is a great way to re-spark interest. In this Crunchy Frozen Yogurt Snack Bites recipe, I simply used this silicone bottom ice cube tray and filled it with 3 ingredients (4, if you add fruit to the yogurt).
To start, I used a fun, new product that I’m excited to tell you about: Growing Roots® organic, gluten-free snack clusters.
Growing Roots® is an organic, plant-based line of snack bites and clusters featuring delicious flavors in uniquely sweet and savory combinations. It’s a perfect, gluten-free granola substitute in this recipe that adds the crunch and unique flavor. I used the Pineapple Coconut Rum flavor but they also offer Cocoa Chipotle, Maple Rum, and Coconut Curry.
Another aspect of Growing Roots that I am particularly fond of is there commitment to community and healthy food. Every purchase of Growing Roots foods supports urban farming with 50% of all profits going to urban farming initiatives.
After layering crushed Growing Roots in the bottom of the ice tray, I added a dollop of almond butter. This adds a nice creaminess and also helps to keep the Growing Roots® snack crunchy.
Lastly, fill in the ice cube tray with your favorite flavor of yogurt.
I used vanilla, vanilla mixed with chopped fresh blackberries, and key lime flavors. You can easily use a dairy-alternative yogurt to make this snack completely vegan.
Here’s the full recipe:
- ½ cup Growing Roots® Pineapple Coconut Rum Snack Clusters
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 8 oz of yogurt of choice (recommend full or reduced fat but NOT fat free)
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh or frozen berries (optional)
- Silicone ice cube tray with 14 openings
- Place Growing Roots in a ziploc bag. Seal, leaving a small opening. Lay the bag flat on the counter and roll over it using a rolling pin or glass. Crush to break up large chunks.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of crushed Growing Roots into each ice cube opening.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat almond butter for 20-30 seconds in microwave to thin. Dollop ½ teaspoon of almond butter on top of Growing Roots®.
- If desired, fold chopped fruit into the yogurt of your choosing.
- Fill the ice cube opening with yogurt to just below the top (90% full). Cover and freeze for at least 5 hours.
- Remover frozen snack bites from tray. Let sit for about 2 minutes and then enjoy immediately. Yogurt will start really melting about 10 minutes after removed from the freezer.
I hope these Crunchy Frozen Yogurt Snack Bites bring some joy and excitement back to your snack time as they have for me.