Raw kale is quickly transformed in to a delicious, fresh salad by adding creamy avocados and sweet balsamic vinegar to the party. Try this easy Avocado Kale Salad and you’ll have everyone shouting “Kale Yes!”
This post was originally published in 2015 and was updated in January 2019.
Kale has become so trendy in the past 5 years. I personally think it’s awesome when a vegetable of all things because important in pop culture. When Beyonce has you on a t-shirt, you (the vegetable, that is) know you’ve made it.
I have come to really love eating kale and using it in my smoothies. Buuuttttt, it’s not like I just pull out a big ‘ol leaf of raw kale from the fridge and eat it straight. Um, no thanks.
I actually didn’t really know I liked raw kale until I discovered the famous avocado rubbed salad at The Present Moment Cafe in St. Augustine circa 2010. (If you ever go there, order this salad.) Holy moly, it was kale magic! There’s just something special about when kale and avocado get together.
So I set to work coming up with my at-home version and I’m sharing it with you today. WHENEVER I have raw kale and avocado at home I make this salad for lunch. It takes less than 5 minutes to make and is so stinkin delicious.
There are a couple of tricks to making this salad a success.
First, prep the kale by ripping the leaves off the stalk. I do not like stalks in my kale salad because they make chewing a bit of a chore. They are perfect, however, for smoothies so save them for that. You can use any type of kale for this recipe. In these pictures you will see both curly and dinosaur kale.
The next trick is to chop up the kale finely, like little ribbons. This knife skill is technically called chiffonade, so do that if you know the term. This helps to reduce the “pow” of bitterness that some kale has. PSA friends, if you do not own a good wood cutting board and big ole chef knife, you’re not living your best life in the kitchen. My two favorite knife brands are Global and Shun. I know they are pricey, but it’s so worth it. Add it to your next holiday wish list. You’re future self will thank me. =)
Lastly, “massaging” the kale with avocado is really important. It helps tenderize the leaves so don’t skimp on this part. Get in there and rub for a good 2-3 minutes.
The drizzle on top of this salad is a store-bought balsamic reduction. You can find these in almost any grocery store now in the vinegar section. Here is what it looks like on Amazon, where you can also buy it.
This recipe is super simple to make but it also looks impressive. Ergo, it makes a great salad to bring to a party or dinner gathering. Pin this Avocado Kale Salad to save for such an occasion.
Avocado Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch fresh kale any type
- 1 ripe, soft Hass avocado
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar reduction
- 1/2 cup toasted nut of choice roughly chopped (I like pine nuts or walnuts)
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Strip the kale leaves off of the stalk. Use stalks in juices, smoothies or compost.
- Live up kale leaves on top of each other as best you can on a large cutting board. Cut leaves into thin ribbons, about 1/4" wide. Place kale ribbons in a large mixing bowl.
- Split avocado in half, discard pit, and scoop flesh out onto chopped kale. Using your fingers, massage and rub avocado into the kale for a few minutes so that it’s completely coated and tenderized. It's ok to leave some avocado in chunks.
- Top avocado kale with chopped nuts of choice and sprinkle with salt.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over the top of the salad. Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this salad!
Kale Fields Forever,