This lightened up version of quiche is packed with huge flavor from roasted garlic and tomatoes. Roasted Garlic & Tomato Mini Crustless Quiche are perfect for a healthy, anything-but-boring breakfast or a special occasion brunch.
This month Cabot Cheese challenged their Cheese Board members to join in on #QuicheFeast and create a quiche recipe. They provided us with some wonderful cheese options to inspire us, and I was in fact, inspired.
We don't eat a lot of quiche at Team Braddock, but I wish we did. I just honestly don't have a recipe that is my g0-to AND it seems like many quiches are very rich, therefore disqualifying them from an "everyday" meal choice.
Read all the way to the end for a chance to win a great prize from Cabot!
Long story short, I decided this was a noble cause and something that I wanted in my repertoire of recipes here on MHE. This weekend I went to work to create a mini, crustless quiche (because let's be honest, that's just easier and more feasible) that packed a huge flavor punch without tons of calories.
The big flavor players in this quiche are Cabot Alpine Cheddar and roasted garlic and tomatoes. I came up with the EASIEST way to roast garlic to date. It involves my mini crockpot, which I introduced you to last week with my Overnight Crockpot Steel Cut Oatmeal.
All you do is cut off the top of a head of garlic and lay it on a small sheet of tin foil. Drizzle generously with olive oil then twist the foil around the garlic into a small packet. Put the packets (I would do at least 2 heads at a time) in the mini crockpot, cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Wha-La, you have "roasted" garlic! Once it's cool enough to touch, just squeeze out the soft garlic from the head. Yumm-O!
Cabot Alpine Cheddar is of course another big flavor addition here. If you haven't tried the Legacy Collection cheddars yet, you are missing out. The flavor is amazing and you don't need as much (a calorie savor) to really taste it.
Since I've been working with Silk Cashew milk for the past month, I've been playing with ways that I can use it in my cooking to reduce calories and maintain texture. It totally worked in this recipe but you can easily sub in 1% or 2% milk too.
Since I made these over the weekend, I've been reheating them for breakfast during the week. So far, these are fantastic leftovers. I also think these are perfect for special brunches where you want a yummy individual entree.
Roasted Garlic & Tomato Mini Crustless Quiche
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes sliced into circles
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 tablespoon of mashed roasted garlic from one full head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- 1 cup shredded Cabot Alpine Cheddar
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Olive oil and nonstick cooking spray
- Prepare roasted tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Lay tomato circles on baking sheet in a single layer. Spritz with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Chop tomatoes into small pieces, reserving about a dozen circles for garnishing the top of the quiches.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. GENEROUSLY spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with foil muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the 6 eggs for about 2 minutes, until frothy. Slowly pour in milk while continuing to whisk. Then whisk in 1 tablespoon roasted garlic.
- Fold into eggs, one at a time, tomatoes, cheese, basil and salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared muffin tins to fill each hole about 90% full. Gently place one tomato round on top of each quiche.
- Bake in oven for 23-25 minutes, until centers are fully set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Use a knife around the edges of each quiche to loosen it. Then use a thin, flexible spatula to help remove each one from the pan.
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool completely and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I have even more exciting news! Cabot is providing me with an awesome prize pack to giveaway to one lucky reader: a $25 Cabot Cheese prize pack and a one year subscription to Chop Chop magazine. Do NOT miss out on this opportunity and enter below. It's only open until noon on October 30th.
I hope you will give these Roasted Garlic & Tomato Mini Crustless Quiche a chance in your life. Perhaps you'll find your go-to quiche with it too.
To tons of flavor in mini packages,