Whenever I find myself around peaches, I immediately want to make an easy peach crisp.
Sure peaches are really delicious all by themselves, but there’s just something magical about turning them into a delicious, simple, summer dessert.
Today is Recipe Redux day and we food bloggers have been challenged to share a recipe featuring a summer fruit or veggies. (Be sure to scroll to the bottom to see all the Reduxer’s creations.)
So being the dessert-loving dietitian that I am, I naturally chose my Easy Peach Crisp.
This recipe has been making appearances in my kitchen for many years and has had many versions. The beauty of a recipe like this is that you can adjust it and tweak it to suite your fancy.
- Need this recipe to be vegan? No problem. Just swap out the butter for all coconut oil or vegan butter. They all work beautifully!
- Need gluten free? Sub the whole wheat flour for either more gluten free oats or a gluten free flour.
- It’s fall and peaches are out of season? Boom: make this an apple crisp.
- Not a big vanilla fan but love cinnamon? Nix the ‘nilla and add all the cinnamon you want.
Really, this is just a great idea to keep in your back pocket when you want a lighter dessert that everyone will love and still provides nutritional value. (Don’t tell chocolate that I said that.)
I like adding oats to my crisp topping because it offers good texture without needing tons-o-butter and it adds more fiber. Fiber is pretty much always a good thing to add because it helps us feel fuller on less quantity (and consequently put down the spoon here).
So here’s the recipe for my Easy Peach Crisp. Have fun with it and try your own tweaks. While you’re thinking about it, leave a comment and let me know how you make fruit crisp.
- 8 ripe peaches, cored and sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- Seeds from one vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 6 tablespoons of butter*
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray or rub with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peaches, vanilla beans or extract, ½ cup brown sugar and corn starch. Mix well to coat peaches. Pour in 9x13 pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine butter, oats, ½ cup brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and pecans. Use a fork or your fingers to press the ingredients together and mix in the butter or oil. Continue mixing until fats are incorporated throughout dry ingredients and mix is crumbly.
- Sprinkle oat mixture on top of peaches to cover. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until topping is golden brown and peaches are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes. Serve warm and with vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream if desired.
To make this recipe gluten free, use certified gluten free oats and substitute a gluten free flour for the whole wheat flour.
Because peach crisp just calls my name,