Take your classic beef burgers up a notch with even more flavor and colorful produce with this fresh and flavorful Chimichurri Burger with Grilled Carrots.
- 2/3 cup Olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/4 cup Red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves Garlic, (minced)
- 1 cup Finely chopped cilantro ((from a 1 bunch))
- 8 whole Shishito peppers*, (seeded and minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound Ground beef sirloin
- 1 pound Ground beef round
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning ((optional))
- 2 Large, sweet red peppers** (sometimes called Grilling Peppers), (sliced in half and deseeded)
- Nonstick grill spray or oil
- 8 Whole grain burger buns ((like Dave's Killer Bread brand))
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- 8 large Whole carrots (or 16 small, whole carrots)
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
To make the Chimichurri sauce:
- Combine all ingredients for chimichurri in a bowl and stir well together. Use in 2-4 hours or cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
To make grilled carrots
- Wash and dry carrots. You do not need to peel them unless they are still dirty looking after washing. Slice carrots in half from top to bottom and toss in oil. Set aside until time to grill.
To make the burgers:
- To make the burgers, preheat grill to medium high heat (around 400℉).
- Combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning in a large bowl. Use clean hands to gently mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Separate meat mixture into 8 even portions. Shape each portion into a roughly 3 ounce ball then slap the ball back and forth in your hands a few times to get out air pockets and tightly pack.
- Place the tightly packed ball on a baking sheet or large dish and press it down to a ¾ - 1” thickness, using a flat surface like a pie dish, large spatula, or baking pot/pan. Round out any edges that become too unruly and form the patty slightly larger than the bun to account for shrinkage.
- Oil hot grill grates.
- Place burgers on one side of the hot grill and oiled carrots on the other side. Close grill lid. Grill burgers about 4-5 minutes per side, until internal temperature of burger reads 160℉ on instant read thermometer. Grill carrots for 6-10 minutes total, flipping 2-3 times, until the outsides are slightly charred and crisp.
- Grill the red pepper halves for 2 minutes per side, until crisp tender with char marks. Remove from the grill and prepare to assemble burgers.
- Slice the cooked pepper halves in half, giving you 8 total pieces.
- Assemble burgers by spreading chimichurri sauce on the inside of both sides of the burger bun. Place cooked patty on the bottom bun, then top with a slice of cheese, a slice of grilled pepper, and the top of the bun. Serve alongside grilled carrots drizzled with chimichurri sauce.
*Substitute one jalapeño pepper or poblano pepper for the Shishito peppers but add slowly and taste frequently to get the right heat level for your taste preference.
**Substitute 4 red bell peppers for long sweet red peppers if you are not able to find them. Use one half per burger.
- Prep Time: 41 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chimichurri, chimichurri burger, grilled carrots, healthy grilling recipes