A plant forward, delicious way to enjoy beef in a quick and easy recipe perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz mushrooms ((recommend a variety containing portobello and shiitake))
- 1 large yellow pepper, (diced)
- 1 large red pepper, (diced)
- 1 14.5 ounce can fired roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 pinches red pepper flakes ((more if desired))
- 2 10 ounce bags frozen spiralized vegetables or spaghetti squash ((butternut squash or zucchini work well))
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts ((optional))
- grated Parmesan cheese ((optional))
- Pre-heat Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Brown beef Add the beef and cook thoroughly, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon or spatula as you go. Remove cooked beef from the pan and set aside on a plate or bowl. *Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160F.
- Vegetables If there is a significant amount of grease in the pan, carefully wipe some out with a paper towel. Leave a small amount to saute the vegetables in. Add the garlic to the hot skillet and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and peppers and cook, stirring frequently for about 3-4 minutes until crisp tender.
- Tomatoes Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes and season with the salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a gentle boil. Then reduce heat and simmer sauce for 3-5 minutes.
- Defrost vegetables Meanwhile, heat frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- Fold Turn off the heat under the skillet and fold in cooked beef crumbles, basil, and red pepper flakes. Season more if desired.
- Plate Layer hot spiralized vegetables into 4 large bowls. Top with a fourth of the tomato beef mixture. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of walnuts and parmesan cheese if using. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree, Gluten Free, Skillet Meal
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
Keywords: healthy ground beef recipe