My Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins are a healthier version of this breakfast favorite. But don't worry, they are perfectly moist and soft, due to using whole wheat pastry flour, honey and buttermilk.
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk or plain kefir milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (this helps with the moistness)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1.5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and fill a muffin tin with paper cups. Or you can spray the muffin tin with nonstick spray and skip using the papers.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed until well creamed (about 4 minutes).
- Add egg and continuing mixing until well combined.
- Mix in the buttermilk or kefir and honey. Batter may turn slightly lumpy, which is OK.
- Add in the whole wheat flour, flax seed and baking soda and mix just until combined
- Fold in the blueberries carefully using a spatula.
- Fill up your muffin cups ⅔ full. I like using a an ice cream scoop with a trigger to do this.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Recipe can be successfully doubled.
If you do not have kefir or buttermilk, you can use 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 3/4 cup milk.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Muffin
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: muffins, breakfast, blueberry muffins, whole wheat muffins