This Vegetarian Rice & Bean Casserole is an easy and healthy solution for getting dinner on the table. It can be made ahead and frozen so it's extremely quick to throw together.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 green peppers, diced
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (instant, long grain or short grain)
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup Pepper Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, diced (optional garnish)
- Toppings of choice - sour cream, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with cooking oil.
- Add tablespoon of oil to skillet. Saute onion and pepper for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring continually. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked peppers/onion/garlic, rice, beans, corn, tomato paste, salt and pepper, oregano, and cumin. Gently mix together. Pour in the stock then fold in cheddar cheese.
- Evenly spread mixture in baking dish. Bake in oven for 25 minutes (30 minutes if cooking from frozen).
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with green onions. Scoop out portions and serve with favorite toppings.
*Can use 1-2 ears of cooked, fresh corn instead of canned.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Calories: 446
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 480
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 82
- Fiber: 16
- Protein: 21
- Cholesterol: 11
Keywords: bean casserole, casserole, vegetarian casserole