This quick and easy sweet potato pie will make a great addition to your holiday. It is a balanced meal including veggies, protein, and a little fat to fill bellies and give the entire family enough energy to take on a night of trick-or-treating.
1 can Dakota Pride Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Happy Harvest Whole Kernel Golden Sweet Corn, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, diced
1 package Appleton Farms Fully Cooked Chicken Fajita Strips, roughly chopped
1 jar Simply Nature Organic Thick & Chunky Medium Salsa*, drained
1 cup Happy Farms Mexican Style shredded cheese
1 package Park Street Deli Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Black Pepper
1 1/2 cups Happy Farms Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a deep dish 9” pie pan with cooking spray.
- Layer the beans, corn, pepper, and chicken in the pie pan, working in order and smoothing each into an even layer.
- Pour the drained salsa on top of the chicken and spread into an even layer.
- Then, sprinkle cheese evenly over the salsa.
- Cut off a ½” corner of the sweet potato bag to create a hole to pipe it onto the pie. With even pressure, squeeze out the sweet potatoes on top of the cheese in a zig zag pattern until bag is empty.
- With a knife or spatula, gently spread the sweet potatoes into an even layer, being careful to not disturb the cheese underneath.
- Bake pie uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon sour cream into a plastic bag or piping bag, then squeeze it into one corner of the bag. Seal the top of the bag 75% of the way, keeping the open end catty corner to the tip with the sour cream. Make a small (about ¼”) cut on the tip of the bag with the sour cream in it. Start at the center of the pie and make lines with the sour cream from the center of the pie to the edges resembling a star formation. Draw anywhere from 5-10 lines. Then connect each line horizontally with a strip of sour cream, making your way around the pie 3-4 times and working your way from the edges to the center. If desired, place a toy spider (spider rings work great) on your spider web.
- Serve this by spooning out the pie onto a plate or into a bowl. Can be served by itself, over rice or with chips.
*Any salsa can be used but I recommend a thick one. Drain the salsa by pouring it into a fine wire sieve and letting it sit over a bowl or drain for about 5 minutes. Give it a gentle shake in the sieve to help any extra liquid drain out.
Note that this will produce some liquid in the bottom of the pie pan when you cut into it. We found that it stays in the pie pan when you dish out the guts and doesn’t impact the flavor or texture of the other ingredients.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shepherds pie, one dish, dinner recipe, chicken and sweet potatoes