Amazing homemade potato skins are simple to make and customize with a "bar" of toppings. This basic recipe starts with cheese, bacon and green onions, but don't limit to just that.
- 10 whole Yellow potatoes ((from a 5 lb bag))
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Ground pepper
- 8 ounce Block sharp cheddar cheese, (grated)
- 4-6 slices Uncooked bacon ((more if desired))
- 1 cup Diced green onions ((from about 4 green onions))
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream, (for serving)
- Arrange two oven racks toward the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash and dry potatoes, then prick each 4 times with the prongs of a fork. Lay potatoes on prepared rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until mostly tender when pricked with a fork.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook bacon. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay bacon strips on top. Slide onto the the other oven rack and cook for about 18-20 minutes, until crispy, with the potatoes. Using tongs, immediately remove bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain and cool. Then chop into bite size pieces.
- Preheat oven broiler and arrange rack about 7" from the top (not on the closest option).
- When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, gently slice them in half long-ways. Use a spoon to gently scoop out the potato flesh, leaving about 1/2" border of potato in each, or more or less to your preference. (Save scooped out potato for mashed potatoes for another meal.)
- Line the scooped potato skins back on to the baking sheet. Drizzle them evenly with the olive oil (or brush it on) and sprinkle a small amount of salt and pepper on each. Broil for 2-4 minutes, until edges of potato are golden color and crispy.
- Remove from oven and fill each potato skin with a big pinch of shredded cheese. Then top with a pinch of chopped bacon. Return pan to the oven and broil for another 2-4 minutes, until cheese is melted smooth or bubbly.
- When potatoes are slightly cooled, top with sour cream and chopped green onions. Serve with other toppings (mentioned above in post) if desired.
- Recipe can be prepared through step 5 (after scooping out skins) 1 day in advance.
- This recipe can be made vegan by using a vegan cheese and sour cream alternative.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: football food, potato skins