This is the best way to make no soak black beans in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. They're flavorful, but not too strong, so you can use them in a variety of different dishes or all by themselves.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups broth or stock of choice
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups dry black beans
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
- Turn your Instant Pot or smart pressure cooker to "sauté" mode and let heat.
- Once heated, add the oil, then the diced onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant and softened, but not browned.
- Turn off the sauté function on your Instant Pot. Pour in the broth/stock, water, beans, bay leaf, salt and garlic powder.
- Lock the lid of the Instant Pot in place and make sure the release knob is not open. Press "Manual" on the Instant Pot and set the timer for 45 minutes.
- When Instant Pot is done cooking (it will beep), manually release the pressure by moving the pressure release knob to "Release".
- Once pressure is released, open the top of the Instant Pot carefully. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Remove bay leaf and enjoy!
This recipe could be made in the slow cooker by cooking on low for 7 hours.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Instant Pot
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot black beans, protein side dish, protein main dish