Transform berries into a delicious Cabernet Berry Compote with just a few ingredients. It's perfect on crusty bread, over ice cream, or all by itself.
- 16 ounces Fresh strawberries, (sliced)
- 6 ounces Fresh blackberries, (large berries sliced in half)
- 1 tbsp Simply Nature Organic Cane Sugar ((or granulated sugar))
- 1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvingon ((like Bear Bros. from ALDI)*)
- 1 tub Mascarpone cheese
- 1 French Baguette
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees °F.
- In a 1-2 quart baking dish, add all the berries. Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add cabernet to berries and toss to combine.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Berries will be soft but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, slice baguette into slices about ½” thick. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then arrange bread slices on top.
- When the berries are done roasting, remove from the oven and put the baking sheet with the bread in the oven. Bake bread for 5 minutes, just until the tops are toasted.
- Serve berry compote with bread slices and mascarpone. Assemble by spreading mascarpone on toast and topping with compote.
- 3 cups of frozen, mixed berries can be used in place of fresh berries.
- In place of wine, use 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. In addition, let the berries sit in just the sugar for 5 extra minutes in step 2 (10 minutes total) before adding the wine.
- Mascarpone can be substituted for cream cheese or eliminated to be a vegan option.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Brunch, Dessert
- Cuisine: American, Breakfast
Keywords: baked berries, berry compote recipe, dessert berries, how to roast strawberries